A Dynamic Out-of-School Option for Baltimore City Youth Ages 12-17
Earn Service Hours
FREE TO ATTEND
Bus Tokens and Rides Available
We put youth first. With a focus on treatment and healing, we engage youth, and whenever possible, Clubhouse decisions are guided by youth. We utilize a culturally-centered, spiritually-based treatment model that feels familiar to the youth we serve and therefore supports higher rates of success.
Since 2013, PLC has provided dynamic afterschool supports to Baltimore City youth. Every Monday through Friday afterschool and in summer, and during the day on Saturday, our “Meet Me Halfway” Adolescent Clubhouse enriches the lives of and empowers youth ages 12 to 17 years at no charge to the youth.
***During the pandemic, Clubhouse activities have continued virtually***
Outcomes Achieved Through Work and Play
Though activities are structured and scheduled, youth are working even when they’re playing. By incorporating lessons throughout an array of activities, youth learn important practical and emotional strategies and skills, whether sitting in front of a computer, preparing the evening meal, or blowing off some steam with a game of hoops.
A Youth Who is Successful Will:
- Achieve increased physical, social, educational and emotional stability
- Eliminate substance use
- Find increased self worth
- Engage and participate in educational training and vocational pursuits
- Have improved school attendance and grades
- Have improved family communication and parental involvement
Youth Outcomes are Achieved:
- With one-on-one and group counseling and recovery planning
- Through life skills building and homework help
- With exposure to vocational training and higher learning opportunities
- Through fun family activities
- Through daily meal planning and preparation
- By applying for jobs and participating in mock interviews
- With social and recreational activities in the Clubhouse and in the community
- Through volunteering and community service
To accommodate a range of ages, breakout groups help us customized age-appropriate activities.
Staff takes youth through the Seven Challenges program which is based in the belief that people deserve comprehensive counseling to help them identify and work on problems in their lives. (sevenchallenges.com)
Clubhouse life skills training follows the evidence-based Botvin model and its core curriculum: self-management, social competence and resisting peer pressure. (lifeskillstraining.com)
Youth work hard to identify and reach their goals. During recreation and free time – which also serves as incentive – staff supports youth as they practice new social and life skills.
Harm Reduction Approach
Harm reduction refers to a set of compassionate and pragmatic approaches that aim to reduce a variety of risky behaviors including drug or alcohol use, teen sex, bullying and other social pressures. Our programming is designed to motivate youth to evaluate their lives, consider changes, and succeed in implementation thus taking power over their own lives.
Who Do We Serve?
Baltimore City youth, ages 12-17:
- who are currently receiving treatment for substance use or abuse;
- who are in recovery;
- or others who can benefit from a safe youth-focused after-school environment.
Referrals and Enrollment
All are welcomed! We receive referrals from schools, treatment centers, social services, the courts and even by word-of-mouth. Just call (410) 235-2800, or email email@example.com to learn more. Enrollment requires completion of form with guardian’s signature; age 17 may sign for themselves.