Family means something different to everyone – biological, adoptive, foster, kinship and more. Make a positive statement about your family through a painting or poem, a dance or a rap, or whatever your talent might be.
Submissions must be provided digitally, either as an image (JPEG, PNG, PDF), an MP3 audio file, a video link or a video file that is compatible with YouTube. Video and audio should not exceed 2 minutes. The full list of guidelines can be found below.
You are eligible if you’ve taken part in PLC’s kinship care, foster care, family preservation, after school, independent living, adoption, or any other PLC program and if you will be aged 24 and under on August 31, 2020.
Tell us about your family through Creative Expression and:
- You might win an award and prize;
- Your submission might be featured on PLC’s website, Facebook and Instagram;
- Your art work might be displayed on our office walls and on our stationary.
Through your original artwork, express why you feel good about your family.
Age Groups and Awards
For each of the following age categories*, we will issue a People’s Choice Award, based upon votes collected through PLC’s Facebook, Instagram and email list. First prize in each of the following age groups is TBD.
- 7 years and younger
- 8-11 years old
- 12-15 years old
- 16 and older
As word of the contest spreads, we hope to collect more prizes to acknowledge more of the top submissions.
* Your age category is based upon your age on August 31, 2020.
- June 30, 2020: deadline to submit your original creative expression
- July 1-10: review of submissions for eligibility
- July 15 – August 15, 2020: Facebook, Instagram and email voting
- August 22: winners announced followed by a virtual celebration!
Eligibility and Guidelines
- Entries will be accepted from individuals who are 24 years of age or younger on August 31, 2020 and who are or who have been supported through PLC programming.
- Qualifying entries include:
- Visual arts including 2-dimensional art such as drawings, painting, photography, collages and 3-dimensional art such as sculptures or dioramas
- Audio performances including spoken word, instrumental, singing and clean rap.
- Video performances including dance, skits, those listed under audio performance.
Please do not use photocopied or published/copy-write materials in your projects.
- When you submit the digital file or link via email, please include the following in the body of the email:
- Your Artist’s Statement – up to 200 words about the inspiration and meaning of your work; winners might be asked for consent to publish an excerpt from this.
- Your full name (only first name will be shared publicly; please provide a pseudonym or initials if you prefer we not use your first name)
- Your age on August 31, 2020
- Your address (only the PLC region in which you are/were served will be shared publicly)
- The PLC program in which you participated and a staff member’s name if you have it.
- Group projects are allowed, but please only one entry per person.
Submission of Artwork
Please email a digital file of your artwork to firstname.lastname@example.org and type “contest” in the subject line. If you don’t receive confirmation of your submission within one business day, please try again and/or call us at (202) 349-7641.